I decided to squib the Ashes review as all that I could say I have likely said in match blogs. Besides, my opinions are closely aligned with that other great mouth of Australian cricket, Ian Chappell. Thank God all the Chappell's weren't like Greg!
Ponting has certainly raised some interesting points post Ashes and a few are starting to sound like a naughty boy's panic when he knows the teacher is watching. The concept of splitting the the captaincy is interesting in the light of his original criticisms of the idea when he was One Day Man and Tugger was the Test Elcapitaino. Then, he agitated for the roles to be combined! Its amazing how your perspective changes according to circumstance.
The reality is, Cricket Australia will not remove him from the captaincy for the same reason it won't blame the selectors. To do so would imply complicity in the Ashes failure and weaken the brand. With Tests to market against the West Indies and Pakistan this summer and the Ashes lost, about the only angle they have going for them is to promote Australia's climb off the mat from No 4 in the ICC world rankings. To have Ponting stood down would be an even bigger disincentive for crowds to flock to Australian grounds. Of course, they'll still flock in Melbourne because they are sports crazy flockers down there!
What about it? Would Ponting really stand down or are these just offers of appeasement and humility spun up by a media conscious CA PR wanting to throw balm on the troubled and dissatisfied waters that are the Australia cricket public? Could Ponting bat at three, snare his catches at second slip and let Pup control the levers and pulleys? Should we split the captaincy again?
Thump those thoughts across my electronic desk and lets get cricky with it! Click the "comments" link below and go for it.
No, I can't see Ponting standing down, not least because I can't see him playing under Clarke (in Tests, any rate).
ReplyDeleteYes, we should split the captaincy. I can't really rationalise this, I just have a gut feeling that would be a positive move for Ponting.
By the way, my answer for quiz #4 is: NFI.
Thanks Tim? I wonder which Tim you are? In future, don't place you answers in with a comment, as I can't print answers. Drop them into separate comment entries.
ReplyDeletei just heard Pup on the radio saying he didnt want to captain over Ponting and wants only to VC under him.
ReplyDeletepolitics, diplomacy, mateship....hhmmmmm?